The realization of a biogas plant
From Idea to implementation…
Biogas projects for energy production require a certain amount of investment and structural actions at the farm. That is why it is so important to plan such kind of project very well and specially to proof the economic sustainability of it before checking the technical feasibility. When realising a biogas project, project initiators (e.g. farmers) have the option of carrying out certain phasing of the project themselves, depending on their personal commitment and available financial and personnel resources.
Especially in the early phase of a project the project initiator or else the future plant operators play an important role. In designing a project outline for the first project assessment and for the subsequent development of a feasibility study the future plant operators can or must contribute own information, ideas, desires, expectations and decisions. This ensures that the framework is locally aligned and optimized thus to a long-term sustainable plan.
Essential project development phases and central questions for implementing a biogas plant [Based on Castillo et al 2012]
- I would like to build a biogas plant at my farm
- What are the first questions?
- Which biomasses are available on farm?
- What kind of plant and size will be appropriate?
- Is it wothwhile to go on planing?
- I want to make my project more precise
- Whats is the availability and quality of the biomass?
- How can I ask for information / support?
- Will the project be feasible from technical, economical and environmental point of view?
Project concept & business plan
- What will be the most feasible concept for my situation?
- How does my business plan look like?
- What does the expert say?
- What offers the most promising concept?
- legal company form,
- substrate provision,
- technical dimension and
- economic analyses
- How do I achieve acceptance from my neighbourhood?
- What is demanded to get the relevant permits (and fundings)?
- Which plant technology and building company will I choose?
- How can I finish on time and within budget?